Saturday, April 25, 2015

Block Party! Geometry Style.

In my Geometry for Design class, we had a "Block Party" a couple of weeks ago. Basically, my professor, Peter Steinbach, supplied several different kinds of foam, plastic, and wood blocks, based on different Tiling Systems--from different cultures, using different angles--, and let the class have at it!  This worked out perfectly, because it was the day that two of my children came to school with me because they were on Spring Break.

We were able to arrange the blocks into whatever designs we wanted. It was a lot of fun to be able to work hands on, and see how the shapes fit together. This also blended in perfectly with my quilting background, and there are several designs that I would love to turn into quilts one day.

It was so funny, part way through the class my 4-year old asked, "When are we going to go to your REAL class?". I guess he thought this was too much fun to actually be a college class. My 12-year old daughter said that she wanted to go to college now too!  Yes, kids, college can actually be fun!




No comments: