Friday, June 18, 2010

Painted Canvas

Inspired by the work of Alisa Burke, I have been playing around with painting on canvas. This appeals to me for several reasons:




--It is something that I can do while watching the baby. I can put a quick layer of paint on the canvas, and then I wait for it to dry for a couple of hours. Each layer takes maybe 5-15 minutes, so if he wakes up from his nap, I can stop what I'm doing and go get him right away--not like when I am immersed in dye!

--I can use up some of my old acrylic paint, some with a label on it from 1991--yikes! I have some old "dusty colors" that don't appeal to me anymore, but I am finding that if I mix it with another color, or use it in a layer in conjunction with other colors, it works just fine. I am trying to use up this old stuff to make way for some newer, vibrant colors.

--I can get my "art fix" without a big commitment of time or materials--both of which are running short.

--I enjoy working with the fabric after it has been painted. I am in the process of making some little art journals and notebook covers with this stash of canvas.

--It gives me an opportunity to play around with different color combinations, tools, and some of the stamps that I have made myself.

What do you think?

No comments: