Monday, March 19, 2007

Unconventional Fibers ATCs







Here is what I have been working on for my "unconventional fibers" Artist Trading Card Exchange. The materials I started out with are: painted paper towels, painted dryer sheets, Razzle Dazzle decorative thread, variegated cotton threads, decorative yarns. I originally had intended to incorporate a floral mesh material and my felt-melt leaves, but they didn't make it in the final piece.

I started out by using one of my painted paper towels for the base. This is Scott's brand paper towel--it has a neat brick like texture to it. I layered it with batting and a muslin backing so that I could quilt through it as I added the other embellilshments. Then I sewed on strips of painted dryer sheet, couched on different yarns, and stitched the Razzle Dazzle, copper metallic and variegated threads.

Then I cut the "quilts" into 2.5 x 3.5 inch trading cards. I am currently adding a couple more elements, and need to finish the edges. Fun, fun!

No comments: