These are some pieces that I made about a month ago, but have been so behind in blogging....
These were done a little differently than my process before. I used circles and leaves as "masks" and sprayed bleach on the fabric to get a resist effect.
These were folded and then the edges were dipped in bleach. Lots of different shapes you can get with folding.
This one was a shibori wrap that discharged a little too quickly! It is mostly brown, rather than its original black. Subtle, but a neat pattern.
Now I've just got to DO SOMETHING with it!
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
The last weekend in September, I was lucky to be able to go to the Thimbleweeds quilt guild annual retreat in Jemez Springs, NM. I went last year as a teacher, but wanted to go back this year to play!
The class I took was Pet Portraits with a great art quilt teacher from Santa Fe, Holly. I was a little too intimidated to do a fabric portrait of my dogs Anya and Coco the first time out, so instead got a couple of books from the library on fish. These are my results from the weekend.
This one is almost finished--just need to add some beaded eyes and maybe some bubbles.
The goldfish top is done, but not quilted. The fun part with this one was adding the non-cotton fabrics for the seaweed.
Just a fun fish "portrait" with a gilted frame--an African fabric that I had just enough of. I hand dyed the background, and the black and copper fins are black fabric that I bleach discharged to reveal the coppery areas.